Sunday, August 30, 2009

Life and Death

Five days ago midnight, my wife and I were sitting with my son and his wife in the waiting room at the hospital waiting for the results of a surgery on my 16 yr old grandson. The operation to remove a tumor was scheduled for 8 hrs and was already into its 15th hour. Clearly there was something wrong and the parents were frantic to the breaking point.

Finally informed that the operation was over and the doctors were ready to meet with us. Their word was that this was one of the ten most difficult procedures out of the 1000 they had ever performed. We almost lost the boy and there was considerable danger of a relapse for the next 72 hrs..

The following days were very chancy, but today we brought Brett home. He is in for a long period of recovery, but is doing well.

Sometimes I question my time spent over the years in meditation and sitting with the dying, but it was that experience that helped heal this family. The massaging, meditating and imaging carried the day when all was chaos. This is not a tribute to me, but to the disciplines I have followed which calmed and healed. I am very grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments welcome.

follow me on Twitter